By: Julio P. Yap, Jr.
Read original article here
PRODUCTS THAT CAN BE DERIVED FROM BEEKEEPING (BEEKEEPING SERIES, PART 5)
We discussed the products and byproducts which can be derived from honeycombs. This article focuses some of the secondary products from beekeeping produced by the Milea Bee Farm.
Products from Honey
Here are some of the products of the Milea Bee Farm that can also be produced by aspiring local beekeepers:
• NatSoda: A natural healthy drink that is made with honey, fresh fruit extracts, and probiotic water kefir. Water kefir is made from kefir grains, also known as tibicos. The grains make up a culture of various strains of healthy bacteria and yeast, held together in a polysaccharide matrix created by the bacteria.
The microbes feed on sugar and produce lactic acid, alcohol (ethanol), and carbon dioxide, yielding a fermented carbonated beverage. Water kefir is nature’s way of making soda and by far, one of the healthiest and easiest to make at home.
• Honey pops: Commonly known as a honey lollipop, this is sure to be a hit not only with kids but with adults.
• Flavored honey: This is made from 100 percent pure honey mixed with a variety of organic herbs and spices to attain its distinct flavor.
For healthcare and beauty products, the Milea Bee Farm also produces:
• Honey propolis shampoo: This is a natural shampoo with no harmful ingredients whatsoever, great for maintaining healthy hair, and ideal for the treatment of itchy scalp.
• Soap: The Milea Bee Farm also produces body soap, like Goat’s Milk Honey Oatmeal or GHO, and Carrot Honey.
GHO is ideal for use on the face and body, and is recommended for those with itchy skin. It is likewise a skin moisturizer and softener. Carrot Honey Soap, on the other hand, is recommended for those with sensitive skin, and those whose skin needs soothing from overexposure to the sun.
• Honey hair and body wash products: Both babies and adults can use these products, which can help those with eczema and psoriasis.
• Lemongrass honey facial wash: This facial wash, which can be a part of a pimple care regimen, is very gentle to skin but zeroes in on pimple-causing bacteria while balancing the skin’s oil production.
The Milea Bee Farm produces the following balms and creams from beeswax, a substance which houses the bees and is made with their saliva and plant resin:
• Lip balm: Plant butters and essential oils are combined with beeswax to create these all-natural lip balms, which soothe and moisturize the lips.
• Lip cream: If ordinary lipsticks cause lip problems, lip cream is a good alternative. It also colors, soothes, and moisturizes lips.
• Baby balm: The “sleep balms” produced by Milea Bee Farm are recommended to help babies relax and fall asleep easily, while their Sniffles Balm will help babies cope with coughs and colds.
The Mom and Baby Balm will moisturize the rough skin spots and protect infants’ butt areas from diaper rash. It also moisturizes the mother’s belly during pregnancy, and protects the nipples during the nursing period.
• Healing balm: The Ginger Balm is used to relieve headaches, muscle pains, and insect bites; the Propolis Balm is an all-around healing balm which can also relieve pain and protect the skin from sunburn.
• Hair care products: Hair Butter helps make hair manageable, helping keep it shiny while protecting it from the sun, salty air, and chemical damage. Hair Wax helps keep hair in place and prevents breakage due to chemical stress.
Bee propolis is the resin that is collected by stingless bees from plants and mixed with their saliva. It contains natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, and is a natural probiotic.
• Propolis extract: This can boost the body’s immune system, and help the body fight infections.
• Throat spray: It can relieve sore throats, mouth sores, and even coughs.
• Propolis foaming feminine wash: For helping maintain hygiene.
• Propolis soap: Made with pure glycerine and propolis, this is very mild and can be used on sensitive and irritated skin.
• Propolis cream: This is a moisturizer which can also help in the treatment of pimples, acne, and other skin problems.
• Concealer stick: Can help conceal blemishes and heal infections on the face. According to Rico Omoyon, all the products which can be derived from honey are safe and healthy to use, and with the Yuletide season just around the corner, will make a good gift for loved ones and friends, one that also helps save the bees.
(Next: The importance of bees to crop pollination, and to mankind in general.)
This appeared as “Beekeeping Series, Part 5” in Agriculture Monthly’s November 2015 issue.